Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Started the umptenth re-model project yesterday!!

Sorry I didn't blog yesterday. I was busy with Day 1 of the umptenth re-model project at our house. Let's see--there was the re-flooring and painting when we moved in, the re-model of the master bedroom in 2003, new windows, doors and exterior siding in 2004, changed to stained concrete floors in 2006, complete overhaul to the kitchen, dining room and living room including knocking down 4 wall in 2008, and now--in 2009--a bathroom addition. We have pretty much been in a state of transition for 7 years now. We all swear this will be the last--but we are not putting money on it. I have gained so much experience over all of these projects that I am actually the contractor & the architect & the designer this time. I am praying that I do not screw this up!! I had a meeting yesterday with all parties--carpenter, plumber, electrician, tile setter and we all seem to be on the same page. The framing is now up and so far there are no glitches. By glitches I mean--for example during our 2008 project when we put the refrigerator next to a wall in the kitchen and when we went to open the freezer door---low and behold there was no room for it to open. We ended up having to add another foot and a half to our kitchen from our game-room!! The bright side to this mistake was I got a broom closet after all. (see 1st pic below)


Pic#1: kitchen re-model Pic #2: new bathroom space Pic #3: outside of the bathroom view


The best part of this project is of course designing the space and picking tile. I was introduced to a wonderful tile company---Walker Zanger (www.walkerzanger.com). They have some of the best understated & sleek modern tiles I have seen--not counting Ann Sacks which is just about the most expensive on the market. I would say WZ comes in the medium to high range. They have a line called Studio Moderno and Vibe that are to die for: (see Below!!)


Pic #1: Studio Moderno Pic #2: Vibe Pic #3: Matouche

I think I will us the Matouche in the dark brown on the floor--except in a smaller pattern called Elph---it has a beautiful rich leather look to it. I have decided to use a tile called Groove in a light color on the entire tub and shower enclosures accented with either the Vibe or Studio Moderno border. I can't wait for it to all come together!! That is the fun part. The not so fun part is feeling gypsum from the torn down sheet rock on your teeth and seeing a thin layer on everything in your house. To those of you who have lived through a re-model------you know exactly what I mean!!
What do you think about my choices?

1 comment:

  1. good work on this. visit http://pictureyear.blogspot.com/
    i am going to make you a masthead for your blog that does not include a non reflecting moon rising from the north. look for that soon. keep going.

    ReplyDelete